New Works: I Pagliacci

Design for Leoncavallo's I Pagliacci - Act 1
Pagliacci - Act 1

Design for Leoncavallo's I Pagliacci - Act 2
Pagliacci - Act 2

Here are the last two installments for my designs for the double bill, Cav & Pag, designs for Leoncavallo's I Pagliacci, both Acts 1 and 2.  I've always found Pag a rather sordid little affair but I confess to having enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, thanks in part to the many recordings now readily available. 

The two that really stood out for me were a live recording from Vienna with Domingo and Cotrubas conducted by Adam Fischer and the early Decca set with Mario Del Monaco's first recorded Canio and Clara Petrella, conducted by Alberto Erede.  Ileana Cotrubas might possibly be my choice for Best Nedda Ever!  Sample them both below.

Voting in the Facebook poll for the subject of my next design project has closed with a clear winner: Puccini's Madama Butterfly.  This might not happen immediately but will be a good distraction while I spend the next month finalising my designs for Der Ring des Nibelungen which heads to the US for it's stage debut in early May.  I'll be posting updates so stick around for them. 


     



Comments