Le Nozze di Figaro

Set design for Mozart's Marriage of Figaro, Act 3
Le Nozze di Figaro, Act 3

Thanks to a new commission, headed to China for performances next month, I've been given the opportunity to design a 'traditional' production of Mozart's Classic comedy The Marriage of Figaro.

As you may already know, Mozart is not on my list of favourite composers, simply because of the fact I feel he tends to overshadow some equally talented composers around him.  His music is wholly of his time for me, painted in pastel colours, whereas my preference has always been for the bold colours used by those of the Baroque and Romantic eras surrounding him, and beyond.

I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this and of course research is always half of the fun of a new project.  Thanks to modern technology I've been able to explore many different recordings, both old and new, not to mention videos of past and present productions, including some absolute classics, Glyndebourne 1973 with Kiri Te Kanawa among them.

The one recording I was particularly struck with was the recent offering by Teodor Currentzis and Musica Aeterna.  It is vibrant, colourful and contains one of my favourite sopranos in this and the Early Music Fach, Simone Kermes as the Countess.  This is one of the most introverted and beautiful renditions of Porgi amor I have heard, and you may possibly ever hear.  Check it out and let me know what you think.


Comments