Goodbye Sir Neville


I knew it was going to be a long, tiring and sad day when I saw the news of the passing of Sir Neville Marriner when I woke this morning and checked my social media.

Sir Neville has been a mainstay of my love of classical music since I was an early teen and many of his operatic recordings form the mainstay of my collection, particularly his Rossini.

As an but brief tribute to this most amazing musician and champion of the next generation of conductors, I would like to give you what was the first ever time I became familiar with his name, Ralph Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending.

I fell in love with this from a very early age and had this recording on cassette back in the day.  Needless to say it is still in my collection and quite possibly my favourite recording

As Sir Neville takes flight yonder, I'd like to think this is what plays.  Rest In Peace.




#RIP #SirNevilleMarriner #StMartinInTheFields

www.blairparkinson.com

Comments