A Jamaican Rumba for a Friday Night...to get you in the mood


It occurred to me today that one of Australia's great and somewhat underrated composers celebrates an anniversary today - that of Arthur Benjamin, born on this day in 1893.  His most famous piece is certainly the Jamaican Rumba, composed in 1938.

I have to admit that if it hadn't have been for school band back in the 80's I probably wouldn't be familiar with his music and fortunately I have my music teacher Roger Hey to thank for that.  But for some reason the Jamaican Rumba is hard to forget, even after all these years.

So here it is in, fortunately for you, in it's original arrangement and not for high school band.  Enjoy this as a perfect way to start the weekend.  I hope yours is brilliant.



#AustralianComposer #ArthurBenjamin #JamaicanRumba #Music #OnThisDay #HighSchoolBand #BandCamp

www.blairparkinson.com

Comments