Una Voce Poco Fa...who sings it better? Part 1

 

In preparation for this coming Friday's Opera In The Park event held annually by the WA Opera, this year it's the silliness that is Rossini's Il Barbiere di Siviglia, I'm re-acquainting myself with some of the Barbiere recordings from my collection.

It's long been a favourite of mine and it never ceases to amaze me of the differences in approach that divas take when singing Rosina, depending on your voice type and preference of course.  Personally I'm constantly torn between the gorgeousness that a rich mezzo/contralto brings to the role and that of the vocal fireworks that an excellent coloratura can display.  Both of course have their merits and my preference changes depending on what mood I'm in.

Tonight I'm in the mood for some smoky mezzo tones and thought to give you examples of two very well known Rosinas from the past - Marilyn Horne and Giuletta Simionato.  Who do you prefer?

                   

#WAOpera #OperaInThePark #Rossini #BarberOfSeville

Comments