Renata Tebaldi - Voce D'Angelo (1 February 1922 – 19 December 2004)


In honour of my most cherished soprano on her brithday I dedicate this all too brief tribute.  I can honestly say that on hearing Renata Tebaldi's voice for the first time, in the love duet from La Boheme with Carlo Bergonzi my life changed forever.  I used to catch the train from the outer suburbs of Perth after school on a Friday and go to the State Library where I would wollow in her studio recordings, following with the score and loving every moment.

Ever since then I have sought out her complete recordings, live recordings and even some memorabilia which holds pride of place on my mantelpiece, including these pictures. Recently I've been watching some of the available tributes on YouTube, footage of her as she arrived at the Met for a performance of Un Ballo in 1995 for example.  The reception she received was surely greater than that of any performer onstage that evening, such was her allure.

I am forever in her debt and leave you with this most beautiful of finales, the incredibly moving final moments from Puccini's Suor Angelica, in my mind one of her greatest achievements on disc.
      

#VoceD'Angelo #RenataTebaldi #OnThisDay #HappyBirthday #Diva

Comments