Carlo Bergonzi

Carlo Bergonzi - Lieutenant B.F. Pinkerton
The great Carlo Bergonzi turns 90 today.  This man has been a big part of my operatic enjoyment ever since I first discovered the art form when I was 13.  The piece was O Soave Fanciulla and it was sung by Bergonzi and Tebaldi on a compilation album with their recorded duet from Madama Butterfly and others from the Decca back catalogue.  

The ease of Bergonzi's tenor with it's gorgeous sunny tone drew me in instantly and I've loved him ever since.  His sense of style is impeccable and his legato to die for.  

Today I want to pay a brief tribute to his Pinkerton, a role I, among millions of others, will forever associate him with.  The Serafin recording was my first Butterfly experience as I mentioned above, it's a recording I will always treasure. 

Bergonzi is the epitome of suave in Act 1, such a beautiful recording which remains to this day an absolute classic.  So enjoy both the Love Duet and Pinkerton's Addio fiorito asil, they are among the most definitive available.


                    

Happy 90th birthday Carlo Bergonzi.  Thank you for being a defining voice of my early years, your style and panache will forever endure.

www.blairparkinson.com

Comments