Akhenaten


One of my latest commissions is based on a subject I am rather familiar with, Akhenaten.  His remarkable story is one of constant inspiration for artists, writers and composers from everywhere.


Phillip Glass' opera on the subject has been a favourite of mine for years now, ever since one of my best friends purchased the discs way back in 1991 or so.  Needless to say it completely blew me away.



This coming August the State Opera of South Australia is performing Akhnaten as part of the complete Trilogy by Glass, together with Einstein on the Beach and Satyagraha.  I would sell a kidney to go to this festival, though time, distance and finances don't reasonably permit.

Have a squizz at the video below.  It was recorded from a performance last year at the Jacobs School of Music, Indiana University and refreshing in it's simplicity.  Beautifully sung and staged.


                 


Comments