Image of the Day...Gertrude Grob-Prandl


Out of curiosity I recently ordered a copy of the first complete Ring Cycle ever recorded, that with Rudolf Moralt and the Vienna Philharmonic from 1949.  As I await it's arrival I couldn't help myself and headed to YouTube for a bit of reconnaissance.

Now Gertrude here, seems to be another one overshadowed by the likes of La Nilsson, and Mesdames Flagstad and Varnay.  She's Brunnhilde in my eagerly awaited recording and you really should have a listen to the track below.


                               

Talk about a rock steady pitch with a beautiful tone, this really is a valuable document of the singing style prior to the New Bayreuth..

A fearless way to start you Friday night.  Have a brilliant weekend and remember to check this out.


Comments

  1. A friend of mine knew Gertrud in the 1950s at Covent Garden, and remembered her as a really delightful but very very large lady

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment