In Memoriam: Jane Russell (June 21, 1921 – February 28, 2011)



Jane Russell will forever be remembered for her Femme Fatale looks and fame as a sex symbol from the 1940’s-60’s.  Working with people like Bob Hope and Marilyn Monroe, she was an accomplished singer as well as actress, releasing a self titled album in 1959 under the MGM Records label.


Married three times, she seems to have had trouble reconciling her bad girl image with her strong Christian faith and was known to have started the Hollywood Christian Group at the height of her career.  That aside, later in life she was quoted as saying "These days I am a teetotal, mean-spirited, right-wing, narrow-minded, conservative Christian bigot, but not a racist" after years of alcoholism.




I will always remember her from this musical number from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes that turned her into a camp icon.  I am pretty sure she actually hits her head as she dives into the pool, but if she did she certainly came up smiling!  I know it will have been played thousands of time today as a tribute, but I just cannot help myself. 

Farewell Jane, and thank you for your contribution to the history of the Silver Screen.

Comments